BadgeWives of Tampa Bay Inc. Scholarship Program
Deadline: June 30th , 2020
Awards Available for 2020: 2
The Mission of BadgeWives of Tampa Bay Inc is to promote positive law enforcement relationships within the community, to seek community support for law enforcement, provide support for law enforcement families in need, and to encourage stronger relationships within families. This scholarship is designed to recognize students who demonstrate a similar passion for public service, and who demonstrate leadership, financial need and a desire to pursue a career in law enforcement or related fields.
Eligibility: Current high school seniors who are pursuing post high school education in law enforcement or related fields including: criminal justice, corrections, and forensics. Non high school Applicants enrolled/accepted into a law enforcement academy are also elegible.
CONTEST & ESSAY REQUIREMENTS:
● Essay must be no fewer than 800 and no more than 1,200 words in length, double-spaced. Spelling errors and/or written corrections (by anyone) found on the essay will count against the final grade and should be omitted before submission.
● Applicant must submit 2 letters of recommendation. One letter of recommendation must be from a teacher.
● One entry per student per contest.
● Essay must be submitted online or postmarked by June30th , 2020 BadgeWives of Tampa Bay Inc. has the right to provide contest deadline extensions when deemed appropriate.
● Essay must be solely the work of the entrant. Plagiarism will result in disqualification. Essays must not infringe on any third-party rights or intellectual property of any person, company or organization. By submitting an essay to this Contest, the entrant agrees to indemnify BadgeWives of Tampa Bay Inc. for any claim, demand, judgment or other
allegation arising from possible violation of someone’s trademark, copyright or other legally protected interest in any way in the entrant’s essay.
● Essay must consist of:
Describe your long-term goals for a career in law enforcement/criminal justice and how furthering your education will assist you in reaching those goals.
Comment on the personal characteristics, educational and extracurricular activities that have helped prepare you for college and a career in the law enforcement/criminal justice field.
Reflect on your personal journey (significant accomplishments, challenges and/or hardships) and any life lessons that you think will or have help(ed) you succeed in college.
How you expect to promote positive relationships between the community and law enforcement in college and beyond.
COMPLETE LISTING OF REQUIREMENTS:
● No application is required. Contest is open to students that currently reside in Pasco, Pinellas, Hillsborough and Hernando Counties. Essays must be written in English only. Applicant must be a citizen of the United States.
● Entrant must be in the 12th grade (a High School Senior) at the time of the current contest deadline. BadgeWives of Tampa Bay Inc reserves the right to make exceptions to this rule, on a case-by-case basis.
● To avoid disqualification, essays must include a cover sheet with the following information:
1. Your name, current phone number and address; 2. Your email address (if available); 3. The name and address of your school; 4. Your current grade level; Date of expected graduation from your current academic institution: 5. How did you hear about the scholarship?
6. College(s) applied/accepted to (if known): Anticipated major in college:
● Applications and scholarships will not be judged based on sex, creed, national origin, or religious preference.
● Scholarships are to be awarded (certificate only) in the month of July. Winners, finalists, semifinalists and all other participants will be notified via email and/or by mail typically by July 30th, 2020. Financial award will be provided to winner prior to the 2020-2020 school year by check to the institution in which they are attending.
● BadgeWives will award scholarships on an annual basis. Scholarships will only be awarded once to each recipient. Awardees will not be eligible for any additional scholarships/renewals.
Decisions of the judges are final.
● All entries become the property of BadgeWives of Tampa Bay Inc. and will not be returned.
● Winners are responsible for providing their mailing addresses and other necessary information in order to receive any prizes. Contest winners agree to allow BadgeWives of Tampa Bay Inc. to post their names on any of BadgeWives affiliated websites or social media. The first-place essay may be posted in its entirety on any of these websites with full credit given to the author.
● Winners consent to allow BadgeWives of Tampy Bay Inc to use part of or the entire essay and take a photograph of the winner to be shared on our website and/or shared with third parties for purposes of marketing the contest.
● Preference may be given to applicants who are the surviving child of a fallen law enforcement officer and/or the dependent children of law enforcement officers.
● Winner will be solely responsible for any federal, state or local taxes.
● Applicant must be available for a personal interview by the Scholarship Awards Committee if so requested.